Plugins; was: Introduction

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 13 16:47:48 UTC 2002

"Dave Hylands" <dhylands at broadcom.com> wrote:
> Göran wrote:
> > > Presumably, to access hardware devices, I'll have to add
> > > new primitives to the language (I've seen a document
> > > somewhere which describes this).
> >
> > That would be plugins I think. Primitives can of course be added too,
> > but plugins are better. I think they have been called "named
> > primitives" too. Not really my area but there are plenty of plugins
> > around to study. Search the swiki and the mailinglist.
>
> In other programs plugins refer to some type of loadable module, typically
> wrapped up in a DLL. Is this similar? Anyways, most embedded systems (that

Yes.

> I've worked) on don't have a file system, so loading anything from disk is
> out.

I understand the problem. Thank god then that they can all be inlined
into the VM! :-)
You select if you want them to be internal or external when you build
your VM.

There are probably documentation on the Swiki, read about building a VM,
VMMaker (which is a tool by Tim Rowledge for this) etc.

regards, Göran