pruning older versions of a method

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 13 18:24:56 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> > finally, where are all these versions living ? in the image or in the
> > change set ?
>
> They do not bloat the image, nor are they kept in changesets. Don't
> worry about them. It's just magic. ;-)
Well, something gets kept in the image - last time I checked ChangeSets
seem to keep the actual old method around which is why we can shrink the
image so much by flushing the changesets (assuming we have a typical
late-in-version-development image).

Looking through ChangeSet I see that there is quite a bit retained for
each change made, including the actual compiled method objects.

I was about to suggest that 'trimHistory' might remove older versions
but it doesn't seem to actually do that. Should it?

tim
I'm a modemer and I'm OK,  I post all night and I sleep all day.