How do I know JIT is working

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Mar 13 19:56:39 UTC 2002

On 13 Mar 2002, Martin Drautzburg wrote:

> I compiled the VM for Linux from 3.1a sources and it gives me an
> option --enable-jit and the compiled executable has the options -jit
> and -spy, the latter of which I don't quite understand.
>
> But my main question is: all these options have no noticable
> effect. Are these just blanks or is the jit up and running. Did I miss
> anything ?
>
> Is there a way I can tell that a jit is doing its work ?
>
> Also: The image will never contain compiled code, right ?

Try evaluating 0 tinyBenchmarks and compare the numbers it produces.  For
me, on Darwin/PPC, the -jit optiom makes the bytecode sends/sec go down.
Not a desired effect, but I know it's on. :)

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the question is no longer between violence and non-violence; It is
between non-violence and non-existence."  :: martin luther king junior