Extracting native code from C

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 13 21:13:34 UTC 2002

Lee Salzman <lee.salzman at lvdi.net> wrote:
>    Squeampiler is a completey independent
> codebase (written completely in Squeak and for Squeak, of course).
> However, it is vastly more portable. It does ALL optimization
> at the level of a target independent representation (even register
> allocation), and does a number of cool optimizations that were absent
> in the translator that are found in the industrial grade compilers,
> and will do even more when it is done. If someone would like to
> collaborate with me on making it more suitable for dynamic compilation
> (brainstorming, code, whatever), I'd appreciate the mindshare. :)

Sounds interesting.  I use an intermediate representation also in the BC
compiler before generating bytecodes.  It helps me find shared vars
between contexts/closures.  I also use it for a couple of simple
optimizations.  Maybe we can share some code ideas.  Maybe we can add
block closures to your compiler or we can add native code generation to
mine (or some combination there of).  You can find my code on the swiki
at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/BlockClosureVersion.

Cheers,
Anthony

PS. By the way, the block closure page is the first one listed under
Google when searching for "block closures".  Cool!