Scamper & Gecko ?

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 13 21:08:25 UTC 2002

Hi!

--- Samir Saidani <saidani at info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Does it make sense to use the Gecko Layout Engine for Scamper ?

Well, no! :-)

Seriously though, one idea behind many of the packages in Squeak is that they are written entirely
in Squeak - both for easy hacking/learning/customization etc. It is very hard to write a browser
these days - there are so many different technologies that a browser is "meant" to support, so
Scamper will probably never be able to "compete" with the BigBoys on their terms. On the other
hand - in Scamper you can grab an image straight from a webpage and rotate it... :-)

But... all this doesn't mean that it would be a bad idea. Anything that works and make someone
happy is a good contribution by definition in my book. We already have other examples where we
have "given in" to interfacing an external library instead of trying to rewrite everything from
scratch, MPEG for example.

But before you look into this - there might be a chance that this would be more interesting:
http://www.huv.com/smalltalk/browser.html

IIRC Jon mentioned that the code might get available. Search the mailinglist for more info on
that.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek