Scamper & Gecko ?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Mar 14 00:07:52 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, G=F6ran Hultgren wrote:

> Seriously though, one idea behind many of the packages in Squeak is
> that they are written entirely in Squeak - both for easy
> hacking/learning/customization etc. It is very hard to write a browser
> these days - there are so many different technologies that a browser
> is "meant" to support, so Scamper will probably never be able to
> "compete" with the BigBoys on their terms. On the other hand - in
> Scamper you can grab an image straight from a webpage and rotate it...
> :-)

Indeed, Smalltalk rules. But there can be advantages to having Gecko
embedded.  While it's not Smalltalk, you could get some perks of having a
nice rendering engine embedded in Squeak.  You could build specialty
browsers easily, or deliver an app largely written in Squeak, but that
requires a full-featured browser component for one reason or another.
You could create something like Galeon in Squeak- but Smalltalk being so
accesible for a Smalltalker, it would be so much more customizable! Want a
little feature? Add it!

> But before you look into this - there might be a chance that this would b=
e more interesting:
> http://www.huv.com/smalltalk/browser.html
>
> IIRC Jon mentioned that the code might get available. Search the mailingl=
ist for more info on
> that.

This doesn't seem to be panning out.  Jon seems to be too busy to release
it.  On serveral occasions he's mentioned releasing it when he had the
time to port it up to Squeak 3.0. Apparently that's a lot of work. On the
#squeak IRC channel on irc.openprojects.net we were talking about it
(again) a couple weeks ago, which got me to email Jon and ask if he'd
release an imagine in which it worked, even if it was Squeak 2.4.  If
there's sensitive material in it, at least release it to just one of us,
and let someone else with more time rip out the changesets.  But alas, no
reply.  Perhaps this is a dead end.

Also, while much better than Scamper and still way cool, the capabilities
of Gecko/Mozilla go beyond it.  I'd like to have both, frankly. :)

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"a system based on exchanging products inevitably channels wealth to a few,=
 and
   no governmental change will ever be able to correct that."  ::  daniel q=
uinn