John's email

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Thu Mar 14 01:32:37 UTC 2002

Russell Allen wrote:

> John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> > In case anyone emailed me from Europe (let alone Asia) and didn't get
> > a response from me, you should be aware that my ISP invoked a spam
> > rule last week to deflect eastern Asia spam that relied on blocking
> > any mail containing any unicode values. -> Content rejected.
>
> Wow!  I am speechless.  In what possible world would blocking off all
> non-english emails be considered a *good* thing?
>
> Is this common in US ISPs?  I have never heard of it before!

I would suggest to keep ASCII forever: it is good for typing {}[]'"~`|\/
quickly and why bother with other encodings?

Stephan

PS: ;-)
PPS: meant half ironically: US-English is my usual programming keyboard
mapping in spite of being a German and having a German keyboard layout...

Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)