Issues with GCC 3.0.4?

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Mar 14 02:58:30 UTC 2002

Hi folks:

I just aquired a new machine, so I decided to throw Slackware 8.0 on it.
I upgraded it to GCC 3.0.4 right away and compiled Squeak, only to
find that it wouldn't run.

I'm using the same source tree I generated from VMMaker for my older
GCC 2.95.3 system.  It compiled cleanly, but when I started an image,
it throws me into an emergency evaluator right away.  The evaluator says:

***System error handling failed***
Error: cannot truncate this number
Debugger class>>openContext:label:contents:
Error>>devDefaultAction
Error>>defaultAction
Error(Exception)>>signal
Error(Exception)>>signal:
Float(Object)>>error:
.
.
.
PreDebugWindow>>initialize

At any rate, I took the binary and modules I compiled on my older system
and copied them over to the GCC 3.0.4 system, and the VM runs just fine.

Any ideas?  Has any Linux fan run into this before?