Multilingual Squeak (was Re: John's email)

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Thu Mar 14 20:24:15 UTC 2002

Yoshiki-san,

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Ohshima, Yoshiki wrote:

>   One of such image file is at:
> http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/tmp/m17n32try.zip
>
>   I believe this is an archive of image and change.

Yes, thank you, this was the image and the changes file.

It includes the class categories with the classes:

Multilingual
- Language
- MultiByteFileStream
- MultiCharacter
- MultiString
- XTableForFixedFont

Multilingual-Encoding
- ASCII
- CNGBTextConverter
- CompoundTextConverter
- CompoundTextFilter
- EUCJPTextConverter
- EUCKRTextConverter
- EUCTextConverter
- Encoding
- GB2312
- HtmlCompoundTextFilter
- ISO88591
- JISX0208
- KSC5601
- KSX1001
- ShiftJISTextConverter
- TextConverter
- UTF8TextConverter)

Graphics-Support
- StrikeFont
- StrikeFontSet

Multilingual-FontReader
- BDFFontReader

Character-Table
- StrikeFontFixer

I would like to do my own StrikeFont or read in BDF font available on the
net. However to see how it works I wanted to try a Japanese Hiragana and
Katakana character sequence first.

I tried something like
16r3040 asCharacter inspect

and got a MultiCharacter but it didn't display properly.

I set the style of the Transcript to  DefaultMultiStyle
and evaluated

16r3040 to: 16r30FF do: [ :ch | Transcript show: ch  asCharacter
printString].

But now Japanese characters showed up.

What am I missing?

Regards