Squeak UI silliness, was: Re: [ENH] ColorScrollBars-dew

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 10:28:52 UTC 2002

dway at riskmetrics.com wrote:

> This is a slightly updated version of my colored/flat-look scrollbar
> changeset, intended for inclusion in 3.3alpha.  After discussing with
> Andreas, I modified this one to use my flat look for the inboard
> scrollbar, and uses the rounded look for the flop-out scrollbar, since
> the rounded scrollbar was mainly designed for the flop-out type.
>
> It also makes various other Color and window look fixes and
> improvements.

I would definitely prefer the non-sausage kind to be fully instated.

I mean I know that Squeak puts in a lot of effort to ensure poor usability,
but when something is given the brilliant name of "sausage scrollbar" it
should be obvious to anyone that it's, ehh, just a moderate success.

For some reason, the Squeak UI seems to be designed by a hobbit. And I'm not
really referring to the fact that everything in their world, including their
walls and doors, have hugely rounded corners. No, rather that their door
handles are positioned *exactly in the middle of the door*. That is a
terrific way of making the door harder to use, by obscuring what side the
door will open on.

But as far as the Squeak UI goes, I guess the "worse is better" principle
will rule forever.

Henrik