[StarSqueakPlugin][VM][Linux] plugin lookup logic broken?

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Fri Mar 15 11:18:30 UTC 2002

At 04:06 15.03.2002 +0100, Stephan Rudlof wrote:
>StarSqueakLife from Bob's SuperSwiki runs without using the
>StarSqueakPlugin...

and at 08:58 15.03.2002 +0100, Hannes Hirzel confirmed:
>And I found out the StarSqueakPlugin is not loaded on Windows either.
>(The simulation runs fine, but more as Smalltalk code)

Yep.  StarSqueakLife doesn't use the accelerated primitives (for scent
evaporation and diffusion) that the plugin provides.  Try the "Ant Colony"
from the Morphic objects browser for an example that exercises the plugin.

I had experimented with a "birth scent" and a "death scent" that cells
emitted in their life cycle (sic), but didn't find it pretty
enough.  Shouldn't be too hard to add back to the code though.

Hannes Hirzel continued:
>So I guess it must be an external plugin.
>My question: Is there a StarSqueakPlugin available for Windows?

If you're using a recent win32 VM, it is indeed internal.  Try an "Ant
Colony" or "StarSqueakSlimeMold new openInWorld" to load it.

Cheers,
Helge