[StarSqueakPlugin][VM][Windows] Plugin not loaded!

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Sun Mar 17 02:03:56 UTC 2002

At 17:17 16.03.2002 +0100, Stephan Rudlof wrote:
>After this I've come to the conclusion: StarSqueakLife from Bob's SuperSwiki
>runs without using the StarSqueakPlugin... (see other mails of mine) Other
>simus use it though.

Yes...

I really wonder whether you're reasoning that every StarSqueak application
absolutely would *have* to make use of the plugin primitives.  The plugin
only accelerates a subset of the framework framework
functionality:  scents, mostly.  Just as well, some Squeak applications
*may* use the LargeIntegers plugin, and others may not.  What's the fuzz about?

If you study the StarSqueakWorlds, you'll find that 5 of 7 publically
available applications do *not* use the plugin (Diffusion, ForestFire,
Termites, Trees, Life).  Two (AntColony and SlimeMold) do so.  Heck, one of
the primitives that the plugin implements isn't used by any of the examples.

Restated:  The StarSqueakPlugin will not accelerate all of StarSqueak nor
all of its applications.  It accelerates certain aspects (one is
scent/"pheromone"), and not every application employs those aspects.

Cheers,
Helge