translucent B3DSceneObjects with texture?

yampa at mindspring.com yampa at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 18 00:29:35 UTC 2002

Do you mean that the hardware acceleration already does this, or that it would be simpler to modify the hardware acceleration?  I want to create a "billboard" effect, such as described here in the Alice documentation:

http://www.alice.org/advancedtutorial/#billboarding

I can't see a way to do that now in either the software or hardware renderer, because it always will draw a rectangular black background for a non-rectangular image.

Thanks for the reply.

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
> Thanks for the offer, but in order to add translucency to the builtinrenderer you'd have to understand a little more than the average 3D
renderer. The builtin stuff is severely non-standard which makes it
both, fast and compact (we don't even have a z-buffer...). So unless
you've written a few rasterizers yourself, understand a bit about
analytic rendering and are willing to spent at least a month digging in
these issues I guess it will be simpler for you to just use the hardware
acceleration.

Cheers,
  - Andreas