[Q][Celeste] address book and auto-save

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Mar 18 15:57:47 UTC 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 12:54 pm, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Categories *are* annotations.  Does that clear up where I'm coming from?
>  A lot of the things you are saying we should extend Celeste for, are
> handled automatically by the categories mechanism.  It won't be exactly
> the same UI, but the functionality and the overall number of
> interactions will be about the same.
>

> The main things missing to get from here to there are:
>
>         1. Celeste should automatically manage a few categories, e.g.
> 'read'.
>
>         2. Celeste should probably have a *negative* category filter
> available, e.g. "show me messages *not* in category 'read'".

Well, not exactly. One use of categorization that isn't covered by the
filters concept (yet) is to actually add information to the messages.

When I "mark" or "flag" a message, I've actually done the equivalent of
adding a new header field. Which could then be filtered into a separate view
if desired.

What's missing is this ability to add arbitrary header fields (or their
equivalent) to messages for later filtering.

Is it possible, BTW, to filter on arbitrary header fields?
--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com