Zlib security heads up

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Mon Mar 18 19:34:42 UTC 2002

The particular bug is a duplicate call to free() with the same pointer, and
the problem is an issue primarily on Linux because many (most?)
distributions utilize a memory manager that skips certain safety checks in
exchange for speed. I haven't closely examined the particular use of the
library in Squeak, but it may be that we don't even call the offending
function.

The "potential root exploit" for this "glitch" (to use the official happy
friendly Microsoft term for "gaping security hole") is hard to imagine if
the program being attacked does not run as root.  Even then it is more
likely that one can cause a program to crash with a carefully formed
compressed packet - so it's more of a "denial of service" type of exploit
through damage to the heap.  Most root exploits are of the "buffer overflow"
type, which allow you to place code on the stack by exceeding the size of a
local array.

-- Duane