Whoa, the environment has become too heavy...

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Mar 19 18:03:06 UTC 2002

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am back on the list after almost 18 months.
>
> The first thing I noticed after download the new (3.0) version was its
> resource requirements.
>
> I have an iMac 233 with 64Mb RAM and the thing crawls, I had to set my
> screen res to 800x600 restrict colors to 16bit and within squeak stop the
> rounding of windows and menu colors to make it workable.
>
> Have I missed out on anything, any tricks to make it work faster?
> (What would be the best way to get it work like its on steroids?)
>
> Eagerly awaiting your replies.

See the Squeak FAQ at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/471 .  There's an item about Squeak Performance Tuning which may help.  It sounds like you've already done some of the tricks, but there are a few others, too.  Beyond that, you may just need to do some MessageTally profiling to try to investigate why certain operations are slow.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com