Ned's Connectors and Squeak version in a can?

hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Wed Mar 20 05:12:41 UTC 2002

John Hinsley <johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> For a pile of reasons, I have to get Squeak and Ned's Connectors onto a
> student's laptop running Windows. (yep, I'd like to stick Linux on it, but it's
> not my pooter ;-)
>
> From experimentation I know that  NK-ConnectorsDemo.057.pr works stunningly
> well on 3.2a #4411, that it won't work on the boxed 3.0 final and that
> recent changesets pretty much screw Connectors up (although one of Ned's
> recent postings makes me think that maybe there is a fix?)
>
> Anyway, what I'm after, if there is such a thing, is a Windows Squeak in a can
> which will allow Connectors to run so that I only have to say something like
> "grab this, unzip it, make a shortcut, and then follow my instructions for
> grabbing the project from BSS" . All this has to be done by email if we're
> going to get it up and running  before the end of the Easter break.

A suggestion:

The best would be that somebody who has running on Windows an as recent
as possible 3.2 image and NK-Connectors would zip his or her whole
Squeak directory with VM, image, dlls and sources files in it and put it
somewhere to download. The receiver than just has to unzip all into a
directory and double click on the Squeak VM icon.

Actually this is one of the nice things of Squeak: on Windows and
Macintosh installing Squeak is just copying a directory or unzipping a
directory if you receive it that way. You can easily have mutliple
installations and deinstallation is easy as well. This is extraordinary
in the Windows world. (From a more general user point of view one
wonders while CS people think that is extraordinary. It is just what
users would expect....)

Hannes Hirzel

P.S. I'm working at the moment with the most recent 3.3a and I do not
have such an installation handy although I worked with NC connectors
last summer.