[Project][ImageSegment] Re: External media in squeak projects/images

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Wed Mar 20 20:41:55 UTC 2002

olmeca at netscape.net (Rudi Angela) wrote:
> I have to present a lot of memory-hungry media (e.g. images & sounds) in squeak projects. I don't want to store this data in the projects, but rather have it read in when opening a project and disposed of when closing a project. Is there currently any built-in support for such applications?
>
> Thx, Rudi Angela

We had some discussion on this topic last summer on this list. I had the
same problem at the time. I wanted to split up an image into different
segments. Swapping image segments out and in transparently worked fine
at the time. Tansel, the Squeak News editor gave good tips.
I upgraded the image I used at that time to 3.1-4325 and that works
still fine.

However I'm not sure about the state of regression testing in this area.
Version 3.2gamma should probably work fine as well whereas it 3.3a might
pose problems. But this is just guessing. I might be completely wrong. I
didn't try either regarding image segments.

Test results by anybody would be appreciated by me as well as I'm facing
a similar problem quite soon.

I would also be interested if it is somehow possible to load/unload an
project (with it's ImageSegment) and all the projects below that project
(actually a subtree). As far as I rember each project got unloaded
separately.

Hannes Hirzel