Native Windows VM extension

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Thu Mar 21 16:36:47 UTC 2002

"Frank Lesser" <Frank-Lesser at Lesser-Software.com> wrote:
> Recently we got some interest on our "LSWST Squeak Windows-Bindings"
> which we made a year ago.
> We didn't publish yet and finally decided first not do so.
> We don't want to publish our work and loose any control over it. So we
> like to publish a VM-extension ( DLL )

I have a certain sympathy for your concern, but ...

> which must be registered with us but is available free of charge and is
> intended for non-commercial use.

I feel restricting commercial use is antithetical to the general Squeak
spirit.  (Maybe native Microsoft Windows bindings are antithetical also
-- half joking.)

> Please give us response whether we should resume this work
> (synchronization with the BC-VM must be done ).

I would say no, don't bother if it would not be freely useable.

On the other hand, descriptions, case studies, etc. as to your general
approach, benefits, problems, of using Squeak or Smalltalk in your
proprietary endeavors would be interesting to hear.

On the third hand, you might consider how much business you would lose
if you made your Windows interface freely useable versus possible
benefit from feedback and help maintaining it from those who would then
use it.  My guess, and the balance would fall in favor of distributing
it freely.

Thanks for thinking about us.

-- Frank