[BUG][UNIX] SerialPort input problems

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Mar 21 22:54:24 UTC 2002

Hi Folks:

Well, after a bit of sleuthing about I think that there may be a problem
with the SerialPort plugin...but only in one direction.

I strung my old dumb terminal onto  my PC and did some testing with a
recently-built VM from sourceforge, vs an old 3.1 non-sourceforge VM built
quite some time ago.

I inspected the following code:
| s |

s _ SerialPort new.
s baudRate: 9600; dataBits: 8.
s inputFlowControlType: 2.
s outputFlowControlType: 2.

In the inspect window, I set the port appropriately:
self setPort: 1.

Now, in both VMs I performed the following test:

1) First, I tried sending data out through the port:
self nextPutAll: 'abcdabcd'.

This worked on both VMs...'abcdabcd' appears on my dumb terminal screen.

2) Now, I tried input by hitting the keys on my dumb terminal and reading with:
self readByteArray

With the old 3.1 VM, the keys I pressed on the dumb terminal were read
by Squeak just fine...I got a nice ByteArray of my key presses.

However, with the sourceforge VM, I get nothing at all.

I tested this with the Windows VM from Andreas' site (which is dated
last spring) and it works fine...

So, are there any thoughts on this?  I hope its not something as silly as
me initializing the SerialPort wrong. :)

Note that I'm running these VM's on the same 3.2gamma image, on a Linux
box running kernel 2.4.17 (compiled with GCC 2.95.3, etc).