[PDA] Connecting Squeak at high speed?!

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 22 18:36:34 UTC 2002

Hi Yoshiki,

>   What's the hardware restrictions?

None, really. It's a concept demo so whatever works, works. The only
issue is that the PC must be a windows machine because it uses some
weird library which is not available on other platforms.

> > * Are there any other (in particular faster) options?
> >   [Note: For this demo, transmission speed is critical.
> >   USB should work okay but if there's anything faster,
> >   I'd love to hear about it].
> > * What can I expect in terms of transmissions rates?
> > * How do you access the USB connection from both parties?
>
>   802.11b wireless card gives you 4-6M bits/sec connection.

This would be about perfect. But is there any such hardware available
for the iPAQ?! And how does one use it - is it just like any other
network?

> Squeak on iPAQ can open the port as a SerialPort at maximum
> speed of 115200k bits/sec, as I recall, but I don't know if
> it can communicate with Windows PC.

Well, if the iPAQ part works I can surely make the Win part happening
;-)

> > Oh, and what's the "best" VM to use here?! The iPAQ is
> > running WCE at the moment.
>
>   I have four VMs, combination of portlait/landscape and
> with/without IPP JPEG.  (IPP JPEG decoder decodes a 320x240
> JPEG file in 50ms.  Even you can implement movie-ish thing
> with it.)

This would definitely help. Not all of the data is images but a large
part is so using JPEGs could make a real difference here. Are these VMs
up somewhere?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas