[GOODIE] kgf-X10Driver - Control Wireless Remotes from Squeak

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Fri Mar 22 19:40:08 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 11:14:16AM -0800, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 March 2002 07:45 pm, Kevin Fisher wrote:
> > Mea Culpa... did I send this too soon?
> >
> > For some reason, my driver cannot open the serial port on Unix with the
> > Sourceforge VM I compiled a couple weeks ago.  And unfortunately I
> > can't try it with the latest Sourceforge code...the VM builds, but when
> > I run it it drives the CPU up to 100% and gives me a big black window. :(
>
> Are you running artsd (like with KDE) or esd (like with Gnome)?
> These hold the port open.

Yes and no...I do run aRts, but at the time it was suspended, and I usually
disable audio output with Squeak anyway.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but clearing out my src and build
directories, and then grabbing the latest CVS seemed to clear it up...

Incidentally, speaking of Squeak sound on Linux, I've been experimenting
with the latest ALSA drivers...I must say I'm quite impressed with them.
The 0.9 drivers multiplex audio streams just like Win2K, which means
no more worrying about a single application blocking the sound device,
and no more need to get around the blocking sound device with ESD and
aRts.  I think the blocking audio device is one of the biggest irritations
I have with Linux these days, so I'm glad to see that go.   The OSS emulation
works great...I had both Squeak and XMMS playing music simultaneously
without any ESD/aRtsd intermediary.

ALSA has the added plus of having a real user-level API for developing
sound apps, so no need for ugly ioctls.  Considering the next major
Linux kernel will come stock with ALSA, this could be a real plus for
Squeak audio on Linux. :)