Object pointers

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Mar 24 07:43:11 UTC 2002

>  > That's a great visualization! The visualization I've always had for
>>  object space is similar, but inverted: The root object(s) are
>>  attached to a 'ceiling', the objects they reference are attached to
>>  them by strings, and changing a reference can cause a clump of
>>  objects to be unsupported and fall into a bottomless pit, never to be
>>  seen again.
>
>Ah, sorta like that game http://www.frozen-bubble.org/. What does the GC
>do when it sees a cluster of same colored objects? ;)

I think I like the balloon one better, mostly because some VM's when
you ask them hey how many red balloons do you see, they lookup and
say oh 7. And never bother with details about if there are
strings/threads attached.

That sometimes has interesting implications.

Of course that circling GC plane will catch upto to the free floaters
someday...

mmm perhaps weak objects have less helium and rise much slower.