Shrinking Squeak...

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Mar 25 17:59:29 UTC 2002

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> I wanted to have the smallest possible version of the Squeak image.
>
> I tried the removing World of Squeak thing, it worked and shrunk the size to
> 8Mb.
> There was mention of using MajorShrink....
>
> Could someone please tell me how to do that?

See the Squeak FAQ for some help on how to do this.  *http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/471*  There is an item called "FAQ: Squeak Executables" which includes information about shrinking an image (majorShrink, etc.).

As Stephane mentioned, there are some problems with the current 3.2gamma version of majorShrink.  Usually majorShrink is fixed before each point release of Squeak, but this hasn't been done yet for 3.2gamma.

> I tried fileIn, it doesn't work.
> I can open the file, but what do I do after that?

I'm not sure what file you're talking about here, or what this has to do with shrinking an image.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com