"New modules at the top level" error

Steven Swerling sps2000 at mail.com
Mon Mar 25 18:40:03 UTC 2002

Benoit St-Jean wrote:

>I am trying to import change set that were made with
>Squeak 3.x into the newest image (supporting modules)
>and whatever I do, I keep getting the "Error: You
>cannot add new modules at the top level." debugger.
>
>What should I do to properly import my change sets ?

I'm not sure of the preferred way of doing this, but I'll tell you what
worked for me.
First, file out your changeset.

Next, search for all class definitions in the changeset. You will have
to change them by:
    a. Getting rid of the poolDictionaries line
    b. Changing the category line to a module line

    For example, the following class definition...

        Browser subclass: #SVIBrowser
            instanceVariableNames: ''
            classVariableNames: ''
            poolDictionaries: ''
            category: 'svi-base'!

    ...would become:

        Browser subclass: #SVIBrowser
            instanceVariableNames: ''
            classVariableNames: ''
            module: #(People sps svi base)!

Notice the poolDictiionaries line is gone, and the category line has
been replaced by a module line. (Note: don't put single quotes around
the module path array). When I do that, I can then file in the changeset
. In the above example, my new class SVIBrowser would wind up in the the
module hierarchy in a module called "base", which is a child of "svi",
which is a child of "sps", which is a child of  "People". People, as I
understand it from the swiki, is the preferred place for you to put your
projects.