Setting memory limits in MacOS X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 26 08:47:55 UTC 2002

>Hi,
>
>I keep on running into 'Memory is low' messages in the MacOS X vm.  I
>knew how to set memory limits/space in OS 9, but X has me stumped :(
>
>Can someone please tell me:
>
>(1) What the current memory limit on the Vm is,
>(2) How I raise that to have more room to play in?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Russell

>Russell Allen
>
>russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com

If you look at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/squeak/squeak/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/sqMacWindow.c
you'll see that at 3.2.2 we changed the memory limit to 512MB.

This means you need at least 512MB or more (usually 2 +/- GB) of
space where you are having OS-X place it's dynamically allocated swap
files.

Pre 3.2.2 VM attempted to allocate 1GB of memory, but I found some
interesting problems in where that memory gets allocated at and how
Squeak is not 32bit clean.

When you get the memory is low. What do the GC/space numbers tell you?