Shrinking Squeak...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 26 18:15:05 UTC 2002

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at vsnl.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I don't think Morphic or Balloon would be an absolute essential for a newbie
That depends very heavily upon what you want the user to be able to do; is it to educate them in the arena of Smalltalk programming, object oriented programming, general programming, simulation, or what?

I'd say there is a very good chance of being able to make an image that zips to 5-6Mb even with all the morphic stuff and eToys etc. The vm can unzip it on loadup, probably almost as fast as it could read it directly. (Depends heavily on many details of course)

With vey limited disk storage one would not be able to keep a serious changelog - not for long anyway, so some other mechanism would have to be used. If the machines are networked, change logs and sources could be kept on a server. This might be safer anyway in an educational situation.

tim

Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac me cocleario vomere! = Gag me with a spoon!