Squeak for everyday use??

Mayuresh Kathe mayuresh at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 26 21:29:10 UTC 2002

Hi,

If you have observed, most of them are Morphic oriented stuff.
Can't there be something for a lightweight MVC stuff?

> From: Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
>
>> 2. EMails (lots of them, filtering, PGP would be great ;)
>> [handling around 300 mails a day]
> Celeste is pretty good but not very pretty. That could be fixed.

Stuck up with Morphic :(

>> 3. Telnet (thats one of the most important things in my life :)
>> [is there SSH available too??] <grin>
> I think telnet is there but ssh is not. I could be wrong. I don't think there
> is currently any support for secure socket stuff.

Again, I think stuck up with Morphic :(
Could you show me how to use it?

>> 5. Journal keeping (pure text, almost 8 years of data, need some
>> encryption technique, certainly wouldn't want my to-be wife to
>> read _some_ of those entries ;)
> There's a file system; you could store files in a suitable directory
> structure. You could use a locally hosted swiki. Many good options here.

I could use any of the options above, but the most important features are:
Search (full text, dates, keywords)
Encryption (there is the to-be wife factor to be considered ;)

>> 6. A bit of music (mostly MP3)
> See MPegPlayer.

How do I use that?
Hope thats not Morphic

>> 7. A bit of drawing (mostly rough concept drawings done while on
>> the move)
> There are options ranging from using or extendingthe painter for morphs to
> HotDraw to Ned's connectors to doing a new one.

Hmnn...

>> 8. PIM (Schedules, AddressBook)
> See class PDA

I think even that is stuck up with Morphic...

~Mayuresh