The bare minimum??

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Mar 27 00:12:22 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 03:52 pm, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> Which are the bare minimum (most required) files to run Squeak?
> I guess, other than the image, VM and changes nothing else would be really
> required, isn't it?

You can also discard the changes file, I think. Though you won't have any
source code, the decompilation will work.

Smalltalk abandonSources

will throw away the pointers into the sources file, and save the temp names.
And it will quit complaining about there being no sources file.

There is a Preference called #warnIfNoChangesFile (also one called
#warnIfNoSourcesFile).

> There is a file called NPSqueak, its around 733Kb, what is that used for?
> (after I moved it out of the Squeak folder, Squeak continued to work)

npsqueak is the Netscape browser plugin for Squeak.

> Is there any way to have an ultra fast yet shrunk wrapped VM?
> (current one is around 1Mb in size :)

Re-compile the VM without any plugins you don't need, to make it smaller.
Though this won't affect its speed any. Removing some plugins may make it
slower (depending on which ones they were).

I don't know what you mean by "shrunk wrapped VM" in this context.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com