Squeak for everyday use??

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Mar 27 00:28:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:57:47 -0600 (CST), Aaron J Reichow
<reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:

> One promising lead is Jon Hyland's MediaView-
> http://www.huv.com/smalltalk/browser.html
>
> As time goes by, this lead seems less promising, however.  He's not had
> the time to tidy and fileOut the code thus far, and my attempts to contact
> him to see if some other arragement could be reached (a third-party doing
> the code clean-up, or distributing the old image sans clean-up), but I've
> not recieved any responses.

Andrew (and everyone else),

I apologize for not getting back to you on this -- I looked back, and sure
enough the email from you is in my inbox... My excuse is I just (after 5
months with no work) got a new contract in Florida, and getting down here
and getting set up has been a major hassle.

Anyways, I did release my web browser quite a while ago -- just after
Smalltalk Solutions last year, in fact. I heard not a peep from anyone
about it, so I figured no-one was interested.

I've just in a past couple months gotten emails from two people (one of
them was yourself) about it. The reason it is not on my server anymore is
the zip file was 12 MB, and I was exceeding my space quota, and something
had to go, and since no-one seemed to care one way or the other, I just
deleted it from the server.

Unfortunately, given that the code was written in 1997, and Squeak has
changed a small amount since then, it doesn't work very well. I started
porting it to work in Morphic last year, but the new layout stuff didn't
seem to work very well, and I just stopped working on it...

If people are interested, I will make an effort in the next couple weeks to
work on the code again, and get it into a state where at least you can file
it into a 3.2 or 3.3 image to work on it...

Later,
Jon