Squeak for everyday use??

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Mar 27 11:18:48 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 04:28:09PM -0500, Andy Stoffel wrote:

> Of course, there's the old adage that supporting telnet is not
> the same as providing useful terminal emulation. If you look at
> the comments for TelnetMachine you'll see it says:
>
> Unless you could use David Lewis' CommandShell & OSProcess
> to get what you need (I've never used them so I don't know
> if they can do that - be a telnet substitute ?)

See today's Felix Franz vt100Telnet post, which is probably what you
are looking for.

A CommandShell ("Squeak shell") can be used to open a telnet session
in an operating system window. On Windows, use the command "telnet&",
and on unix, "xterm -e telnet somehost&". CommandShell does not do
terminal emulation (such as vt100), so something like vt100Telnet is
required to do it properly within Squeak.

Dave