Repeat: DSA, how to use it?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Wed Mar 27 11:52:37 UTC 2002

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> Cool, thats way cool :)
>
> BTW, PGP is also used for disk and file encryption.
> There is something called PGPDisk!! :)

Yup, but that's not part of the OpenPGP standard. OpenPGP deals with public-key
(and symmetric-key) encryption and digital signatures ony.

> Anyways, thanks for taking the efforts for PGP implementation (lazy bum like
> me would never get around to doing it :)

Implementing OpenPGP is not something you just do on an evening. The specs are
somewhat fuzzy, and you need to implement several encryption and hash algorithms
which are used in different versions of PGP and OpenPGP.
I only implemented some of that up to now.

> Anyways, could someone please tell me what is the DSA implementation in
> Squeak supposed to be for?

For digital signatures. You can create a public/private key pair, publish the
public key values and sing data with the private key. Any recipient of the data
can verify that the data is intact and has actually been signed by you.
Of course, they need to trust that the key pair belongs actually to you, and
that the private key has not been stolen.
DSA does not implement encryption, though.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin