Squeak for everyday use??

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Tue Mar 26 19:02:59 UTC 2002

Hi!

--- Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at vsnl.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lets suppose, I want to use Squeak on a regular basis for the following
> tasks, how could I possibly go around achieving my goals?
>
> 1. Web surfing (not too heavy, mostly googling around)

Hmmm, Scamper is there but... :-) I usually have Galeon or Mozilla up in parallell.
This is one area that Squeak will have a hard time to handle unless the code by Jon Hylands get's
cleaned up by someone... Or someone would integrate the Gecko engine as a plugin - someone
mentioned that the other day.

> 2. EMails (lots of them, filtering, PGP would be great ;)
>    [handling around 300 mails a day]

Check! No problem. I use "stock" Celeste and it works superb. The new and improved FilterCeleste
scales even better as I understand it. PGP is coming right as we speak obviously. Eh... GPG? :-)

We are a bunch of users so new features tend to popup in this area.

> 3. Telnet (thats one of the most important things in my life :)

Check! There is a telnet client. I don't know how good it is, I don't use it but I think it is
useable.

>    [is there SSH available too??] <grin>

No, but we really should write a plugin for SSL/SSH... Perhaps someday. We might need it in a
project of ours so...

> 4. Document preparation
>    (usually LaTeX, would like some way to view .ps files)

Oops. Viewing Postscript is one complex job. But sure, perhaps someone could write some fancy
plugin for ghostscript!? :-)

Btw, I use Lout instead of LaTeX (same but better IMHO) and a nice Lout preparation environment in
Squeak should be easy to produce - I mean, hey, it's just text with tags! :-)

By using OSProcess you could probably quite easy whip up some form of authoring environment that
just calls TeX or Lout when it comes to compile some output.

> 5. Journal keeping (pure text, almost 8 years of data, need some
>    encryption technique, certainly wouldn't want my to-be wife to
>    read _some_ of those entries ;)

Well, we got encryption so a little journal app should be easy to build.
And since Scott Crosby recently produced a nice text indexing package for very fast text searching
that would be a perfect fit.

> 6. A bit of music (mostly MP3)

Check! Already there, SqueakAMP - works superb and looks cool!

> 7. A bit of drawing (mostly rough concept drawings done while on
>    the move)

Check! Try Ned Konz "Connectors" - they are perfect for that and can generate Postscript.

> 8. PIM (Schedules, AddressBook)

Well, nothing there now apart from some PDA playstuff (I think).

> ~Mayuresh

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek