[BUG] Red halo menu near right edge "autoselects"

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Wed May 1 09:47:18 UTC 2002

Thank you, Ken!

I've finally tracked down and fixed both of these bugs.

The first one was particularly pernicious, and turns out to have been
with us since the event reworking of November, 2000, and hence in
*every* 3.x Squeak:

If you brought up a menu with a mouse-click invoked near the right
edge of the screen, with the intention of having the menu remain
there while you operated it with the mouse up, you could sometimes
find to your surprise and dismay that a menu item would be under the
mouse and would be selected and executed as a consequence of that
initial click, all before you could even blink.

If the unexpectedly-executed menu item happened to be something
serious like "save and quit" you might be very sorry (thinking back,
this actually has happened to me a few times over the past 18 months.)

The second bug arrived last December in update 4598OccamsMenuKeys.

The fixes are now in the internal 3.3a and 3.2g update streams, in
update 4851menuFixes.

   -- Scott