Is BC worth the image format switch?

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed May 1 13:10:25 UTC 2002

Stephen,

> > We could even convert all bitmaps to little-endian, since
> > only Mac uses big-endian and we know that nobody important
> > uses Macs.
>
> Shouldn't we support both endians?

We do. Or how else would the system work?! The issue is not about
_bitmaps_ (those are fine whatever platform you're on) but about the
interpretation of what _pixels_ are where in any given Form. So it's
about forms not bitmaps.

> If an image opens with big-endian bitmaps on
> a little endian machines, couldn't we automatically correct
> them on startup? Sure it will take time, but if startup time is
> important, just save your image and the bitmaps get saved in
> the native endianness.  I suppose you might need a class for each
> endianness (LittleEndianBitmap, BigEndianBitmap).

Again, this issue is not about bitmaps. It's about forms which do
already include information about their 'supposed' endianness. And yes
you could do what you're describing (and even do so in a pretty fast way
if you look at Form>>unhibernate). It just needs to be figured out if
it's worth the effort or not.

Cheers,
  - Andreas