Is BC worth the image format switch?

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Wed May 1 14:45:37 UTC 2002

stephane ducasse   (home) wrote:

> I would like to know from SqC guys and other what is missing in BC that
> would
> impede its integration into the main image (like a decompiler...)?
>
> I would like to know if the new architecture is a problem for other
> processors.
>
> I think that it would be good to have a list of things that should be
> developped.
> I'm really concerned by the fact BC is a big changes and that some people
> may be afraid to change. This would be a pity to have a big change
> discarded just because this is a big change.

I think Stephane has an important point here. Especially Anthony should work
closely with SqC, in particular Dan, to make sure that the BC code is ok and
clear for integration into V4. Otherwise there is a risk that this could go
to waste. Good work has been known to go to waste before, causing people to
leave Squeak in anger.

One cannot take this integration for granted just because there are N people
who exclaim "Cool!" on the list. There could be deeper technical reasons for
why it is not feasible; very few Squeakers fully understand all the details
of what it takes for something to be solid. I don't. But there is clearly
still a list of issues to resolve, like decompiling and so on.

If there are any technical problems these need to be resolved. If there are
political problems then you need to assemble your allies and prepare for
battle :-)

But hey, it was possible to have the rounded corners turned off by default,
based on a purely rational argument, so nothing is impossible!

Now if only the dozens of people who promised to help with the modules would
actually make good on their promises, then things would look really good.

Henrik