rounded corners (was: Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Wed May 1 14:45:38 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Yes. I strongly disagree. If the argument is that it eats to many
> cycles, perhaps it would be useful to see _where_ these cycles go. With
> the recent changes there are many more rounded corners on the screen
> than ever before (all the optional buttons) and it seems silly to me to
> turn corner rounding on windows off "because it's slow". Let's look at
> the problem (speed) rather than the symptom (rounded corners).

This is a pseudo-logical argument. They are not the symptom. They are the
cause. The symptom is slowness. Silliness lies in insisting that they be on
without stating what their advantage is.

We all may have opinions about the aesthetics of the rounded corners, but
turning them off was concluded on a purely rational basis.

So what is the rational argument for keeping rounded courners on? I.e. what
do they improve? If there is some purpose, then this can be traded against
the loss in speed. But unless the advantages of rounded corners aren't
stated then I can't really see an argument.

The argument for having rounding on at all in the first place should really
have nothing to do with speed. But a speed problem would add more weight
against them.

Henrik