rounded corners (was: Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

Stephan B. Wessels swessels at one.net
Wed May 1 16:21:14 UTC 2002

I love the rounded corners.  Heck, I even wrote a goodie that makes the drag
outline have rounded corners when you move a window.  It's a neat touch.

Andreas makes an excellent point showing that we have many other rounded
features in our environment.

And I think we should address the performance hit.  Although I suspect
several, if not many, folks have ever noticed it.

We should create the environment we want and then go back and see where it
hurts if necessary.  For slow machines turn it off manually.  Shouldn't we
keep our eye on where we want to go and continue to allow for the fact that
the machines we use get faster?  We could identify "performance heavy"
options in the preferences and perhaps even note them in the read me.

As far as 3.2gamma is concerned, trying to engineer something clever to fix
the performance of round corners is not a good idea.  We're too close to the
finish line.  Let's address it in a later release.

While I'm ranting a bit, isn't it always smarter to show someone what you
are trying to accomplish with the GUI soon and then go back and address the
performance?  Think about it this way.  I remember when first trying Morphic
back when it was new.  And man was it slow on my machine.  I stuck with it.
The machines are faster and Morphic has also improved (I think) in
performance.  I don¹t think too often about starting an MVC project anymore.

End of rant.  :)

 - Steve