Big Fonts

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Thu May 2 16:20:07 UTC 2002

Nevin Pratt wrote:

> I'm just starting to play around with Fonts in Squeak, and I find it
> confusing.
>
> For an application I have, I would like a large (around 72 point)
> portable font.  I'm not fussy beyond the fact that it needs to be big.
> Squeak doesn't seem to be able to scale the included fonts.
>
> It looks like Squeak can read in various types of external fonts, but
> I'm not sure what the best approach would be (i.e., which font(s)
> would be portable and free).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nevin

To follow up to my own post :-)

I've looked around the net for some BDF fonts that BDFFontReader could
use.  Mind you, it wasn't an exhaustive search, but I came up empty for
any big fonts.  I finally settled on a 24 point font that BDFFontReader
already knew about, though.

Anyway, I think this whole font thing can be a real can of worms, and
I'm not sure what the real solution is.  But at this point in time, I'm
no longer pursuing it.

Nevin