squeak3.2.7b3-mac-vm.sit

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 2 16:56:59 UTC 2002

>Hi,
>
>John has released a new Mac carbon and classic VM
>at:

I'll add the release notes

a) We build the VM using change sets to have VM globals as a
structure. This improves performance by 10%. Yes 10%.
Yes if you run a 3.2.7 VM your image should run 10% faster...

The fact we get a performance improvement is because of issues with
gcc and powerpc assembler optimization. Tho other VM implementors are
welcome to try the suggested changes to see if it improves things on
say MIPS machines.

b) Alain Fischer coded up some logic so that you can autostart a
squeak.image image if it is in the resource folder (os-x), and to
report the VM version number as part of the version information from
getAttributes:

c) We also fixed (we hope) an introduced bug (3.2.6) that if your mac
has not been booted in the last 24 days then Squeak would hang.