port Whitewater Actor to Squeak ?

Lynn McGuire winsim at winsim.com
Thu May 2 17:24:52 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have a commerical application that is partly coded in the old
Whitewater Actor language.  I am looking for a Win32 place to
port the Actor code to.  The Actor programming environment is
a Win16 application and is a pure OOP, typeless, GC'd language
that is a descendent of Smalltalk and Pascal (and maybe a few
others) with a Smalltalk like class library.  Whitewater sold
Actor to Symantec in 1992 and Actor was allowed to die on
the vine.  There are still quite a few users of Actor since it was
such a good environment.

Questions:
1. Can Squeak be used to produce a commercial product ?
2. Would anyone know if porting Actor on top of Squeak
    might be feasible ?  How to start such an effort ?  I do have
    the complete source code for Actor including the Win16
    assembly for the forth kernel.

Thanks,
Lynn McGuire