[Q] Unable to play MP3 files on Windows

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 2 21:09:05 UTC 2002

>I'm trying to play MP3 sound files with Squeak on Windows, but with
>no success. I keep getting a #primitiveFailed when MPEGFile's
>#primFileValidMPEG: method is called.
>I'm using a 3.2 gamma 4811 image with a 3.1 VM and I have the
>Mpeg3Plugin.dll file in the VM directory.
>Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong?
>
>Thx,
>Rudi Angela

If someone could build a current windows mpeg3 plugin then maybe the
problem will go away with the fixes that have been done in this area
perhaps performance will improve given some of the code changes that
have happen over the last couple of years.

For now look for issues about file name case sensitivities.

/* Test file extension in obsolete windows mpeg plugin

			if(strncasecmp(ext, ".mp2", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".mp3", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".m1v", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".m2v", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".m2s", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".mpg", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".vob", 4) &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".mpeg", 4) /* JMM &&
				strncasecmp(ext, ".ac3", 4) )
				result = 0;
		} */

where strncasecmp  *might be* case sensitive. In the current code
base this whole step is commented out. This assumes of course the
plugin is loading of course.