Squeak, MP3 and ID3

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Fri May 3 00:22:50 UTC 2002

Hi All -

As I've mentioned, I'm playing with mp3s and Squeak (and growing to
enjoy Squeak very quickly).  It would appear that the 3.1 beta image
cannot play mp3 files with ID3v2 tags.  Does anyone know if this is the
expected behavior?  When I debug

StreamingMP3Sound openFile: 'foo.mp3'

where foo.mp3 has an ID3v2 tag, I find that in

StreamingMP3Sound>>initMPEGHandle:StreamIndex: where it tries to count
the number of samples with

totalSamples _ mpegHandle audioSamples: mpegStreamIndex.

totalSamples ends up as 0.  It appears that it recognizes the file as an
mp3 file, but won't play it.  I did some poking around in libmpeg3 and
the plugin source derived from it and found little regarding ID3 at all.

If it turns out that libmpeg3 just doesn't support ID3, I can contact
the author and find out whether he'd accept a patch.  Or are there other
libs that might be better suited for mp3 playback that I could write an
interface to?  It appears that you've done a lot of this work, John -
what are your thoughts?

Jason Dufair