Backspace vs. Del

Joern Eyrich Joern.Eyrich at syngenio.de
Sun May 5 21:27:38 UTC 2002

DEL is mapped to BS in the Unix VM.

The reason is claimed to be that environments/platforms seem to differ in how the mapping of del/bs keys to ascii values and their interpretation works.

I have pestered Lex with a few mails on this topic, and he suggested using the keysyms directly rather than X11's translation to ASCII to avoid ambiguity.

I suggest to just remove the mapping and have a closer look at systems that turn out to have problems with this. Maybe it's just a problem with their X11 configuration.

Joern