Backspace vs. Del

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 6 01:43:31 UTC 2002

Joern Eyrich <Joern.Eyrich at syngenio.de> wrote:
> DEL is mapped to BS in the Unix VM.
>
> The reason is claimed to be that environments/platforms seem to differ in how the mapping of del/bs keys to ascii values and their interpretation works.
>
> I have pestered Lex with a few mails on this topic, and he suggested using the keysyms directly rather than X11's translation to ASCII to avoid ambiguity.

That is done in the SF version now, by the way.  Backspace gives you
character "8" and deletes to the left.  Delete gives you character "127"
and deletes to the right.  The character code that XWindows suggests is
ignored, because different configurations do this differently.
Hopefully this works for a wide group of people.  :|

Lex