Squeak 3.2 UNIX - A newbie's plead

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 6 00:50:50 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> On 2 May 2002, Martin Altobello wrote:

> > Also, alt + left click doesn't bring up the halo, but alt + shift + left
> > click.
>
> If that's true, it's a bug.

Perhaps the "alt" key is bound to something unexpected.  The VM is
currently keying in on "modifier 1".  You can type "xmodmap" to see
which key symbols will give you a mod1, and then you can use "xev" to
see what keysyms each alt key results in.  You can tinker with xmodmap
to change these mappings if something seems to be amiss.  Or perhaps you
will be able to see an improved rule that Squeak could use?

> > Is that the proper behavior for the linux version? It's not big a deal,
> > as I was "clicking" I discovered that if you press ctrl + left click you
> > get the pop up menu too.
>
> Yes, Ctrl-Click emulates the yellow button (menu), while Alt-click should
> behave as blue button (halo).

By the way, in some versions of the Unix VM, ctrl-click will come in as
ctrl-yellow.  In the most recent SF VM, ctrl-click is translated to
yellow with *no* modifiers.  The SF version allows you to truly operate
with just one mouse button.  However, it does take away ctrl-click.  I
don't know what the proper behavior should be; but if the mapping
happens at all, it seems like the "ctrl" modifier should be removed.

(Likewise with alt, but alt-blue seems to do the same thing as blue by
itself, anyway, so it doesn't matter in practice.)

-Lex