[Q] [VM] [FreeBSD] Plugins

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon May 6 10:19:20 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> >Nevin Pratt <nevin at smalltalkpro.com> is claimed by the authorities
> >to have written:
> >
> >>  I've been able to successfully build several VM's on my FreeBSD box.
> >>
> >>  Unfortunately, *every* VM I build exhibits extremely slow performance
> >>  for answering web requests when using Comanche.  The browser on the
> >>  other end of the network link just waits and waits, then gets a little
> >>  data, then waits and waits some more, then gets a little more data, etc.
> >>   It's extremely painful.
> >There's been some recent discussion about sockets, semaphores etc and I
> >think I noticed that Comanche suffered from the latest attempt. You
> >could try retreiving a week or so old copy of
> >platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqUnixSockets.c which would almost
> >surely have the bugs that were being attacked but at least seems to do
> >Comanche ok.
>
> Yes this issue is being fixed, I"m peering at a broken freebsd VM right now....
> Certainly the issue of dribbles of data has been fixed, so wait a day or so

Ian has just finished a major rewrite of parts of the Unix port and he
has tested this new VM quite a lot, including with Comanche. I have also
tested it with a lot of our Socketstuff that is also built in parts
ontop of Comanche and just a few minutes ago I wrote to Ian that it all
works very good.

So... if you are interested in trying these changes NOW you can always
mail me offlist and I can send you what I got from Ian. He is in the
process of packing it all up for a release too.

regards, Göran