rounded corners (was: Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon May 6 15:51:54 UTC 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Amidst all the debate on rounded corners,
> may I make an obvious point?
>
> "Screen real-estate is a scarce resource."
> But rounding the corners of a window reduces the usable area.

Thus the window takes less space, increasing free screen real estate.

Let's see: each rounded corner clips away 12 pixels (count 'em using a
magnifier!) of the window. That makes a whopping 48 pixels *per window*.
Now if we have, say, 20 windows open (which is not unreasonable for
Smalltalk developers) that sums up to almost 1000 pixels *per project*!
Now if we could collect all those unused pixels and donate them to PDA
users ... maybe that's what image-segments are all about? Tiny segments of
each window in the image? Woohoo!

SCNR. YMMV. GD&R :-)

-- Bert