[Win32] VM update (3.2 release candidate)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon May 6 19:26:52 UTC 2002

Mmm if someone could run some mpeg3 benchmarks with the old plugin &
VM, versus the new VM (which has it builtin?) on Windows I'd be
interested to know the performance improvements (if any?)

Also I'm looking for some windows builder, and or linux intel
gcc3.x.x builder to consider the jumptable pointer logic and global
structure logic and CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh changes as I've posted
in the mac folder on source forge.

given gcc 2.95.3 on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE-p28 i386

Ian's VM code from last week:
29962546 bytecodes/sec; 965687 sends/sec

versus with jumptable pointer logic and global structure logic and
CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh

38670694 bytecodes/sec; 1129720 sends/sec

Gee that's 29% and 17%.

Not a statistically insignificance number for people wanting more
performance from their intel VM.

These changes are currently running in the 3.2.7b3 mac VM, and I've
not hear any complaints. (If you don't speak up then bugs won't get
fixed). Of course fixing them and offering the change sets/code
changes is *way* better.