rounded corners (was: Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue May 7 15:52:53 UTC 2002

Jesse Welton wrote:

> (One thing I didn't like about the goodie was that it introduced yet
> another binary preference, where a more sensible approach would
> probably have been to introduce a three-valued preference: Window
> corners #square, #rounded, or #halfRounded.  Is there any foundation
> for easily supporting this kind of preference?  I think there are a
> couple of places in the existing preferecne structure that could
> benefit from collapsing non-independent preferences in this way,
> though they evade me at the moment.)

There is currently one preference which is more than a binary preference (actually four-valued): the haloTheme preference in the "halos" section.  This uses radio buttons for the preferences instead of checkboxes, the four options being "iconic", "classic", "simple" and "custom".  (I haven't looked closely at how these multi-valued preferences are implemented.)

There are some other non-independent preferences which probably should be collapsed into multi-value preferences.  One pair I can think of off the top of my head is browseWithPrettyPrint and colorWhenPrettyPrinting.  (Hmm, although it would be nice if it were possible to have color highlighting without pretty printing, in which case we wouldn't want to collapse these ones.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com